Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Celery for the Dollhouse


So this week I decided to challenge myself and you as you follow along with this produce series. I chose to make some celery. This is a project that will require a lot more patience from you as you work on it because of the details. My best advise is to bake often, I think most of my bunches of celery saw the inside of the oven at least 4 times. Be sure you are baking at the correct temperature, usually 230 degrees Fahrenheit because of the translucent clay. I only baked for about 3 minutes each baking until the final one then I gave a final 5 minutes to make sure everything was baked through.

Speaking of clay, I used Fimo in this project. The first time I tried this project I was out of Translucent Fimo so I tried it with some Premo translucent that I had on hand. It was way, way too soft for this project so I really recommend using Fimo on this one. Fimo soft is just a bit more firm than the Premo so I was able to get the celery to hold its texture, the Premo was so soft that the texture just disappeared on me.

The clay blends used:
The white- Fimo White 1 part
Fimo Translucent 3 parts

Green- Leaf Green 1 part
White mixture (above) 1 part
Yellow 2 parts


It will really help to have some celery on hand to match the color to, you may need to tweak your color mixture a bit to match your celery.

This project also really needs to bake on a surface like a paper plate to avoid ruining the bottom side that rests on the baking surface.

As I mentioned in the video, this project really surprised me in the amount of clay it actually took to make. I am usually pretty good at judging how much clay I will need and can almost always mix up really close to the right amount. Sometimes I will mix in two batches so I can show you on the video how to mix it but I do that on purpose and know how much to mix. This time I ran out of clay twice and mix a third batch. So either mix more than you think you will need or at least have extra of the colors so you can mix more.

I hope you enjoyed this project, be sure to check out the Facebook page for the latest updates and to share your pictures of your projects. 


 


2 comments:

  1. Dear Joanne,
    Thanks for sharing and maybe one day I'll try to make vegetables. I've made oranges once.
    At the moment I'm working with paper.
    Greetings Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joanne,
    This was some challenge and I loved every minute of it...got my juices flowing. After lots of tries I finally got it down pat. The celery came out great. I totally enjoyed this challenge thank you for sharing with all of us. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete