Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Dollhouse Miniature Planter


This week for Trash to Treasure Thursday I decided to show you how to take a plastic top off of a container (mine came off either a tube of some kind or a can of shaving gel) and make a planter for the landscaping of your dollhouse.

I got the inspiration for this project actually while I was sitting in traffic a while back. I was on my way to Walmart and near by is a garden center of sorts. I say of sorts because I don't think they have plants except in their displays. They specialize in decorative items for the landscape. Things like fountains, benches, statues, and these large planters. This particular day as I was sitting waiting for the traffic light to change I was watching them unload a truck in the front parking lot. There was a bunch of these huge planters all lined up that had already been unloading. As I drove along I got to thinking how easy it would be to take one of these lids I have been saving and turn it into a very similar planter.

I have shown you this technique, used slightly differently in the past. If you go back a couple of years in my videos to the Toy Store series you will find I did the stucco on the exterior of that building with this general method. It really is a fun and cheap way to change the texture on many things.

For the video I simply added a rim with several turns of some yarn that was handy. You could also use some heavy lace (like I showed you on the “antique” frames) or you could also add some lace medallions to the sides of the pot.

Another option would be to add an additional coating of the glue/water mixture and roll the planter in some sand. Make sure it is thoroughly coated (it might take a couple of coats for complete coverage) then follow up with the paint.

I do like to use a combination of three colors of gray paint for these but feel free to use whatever you would like.

The important thing with these projects is to have fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment