Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Dollhouse Miniature Bat Cake


This week I thought it would be fun to make this super cute and really easy bat cake. With Halloween fast approaching I know that a lot of you like to decorate your dollhouse's for all the holidays. This would be really cute in a mini bakery too for a touch of holiday cheer.



This is a project that you can use any polymer clay you have on hand. The color really doesn't matter since we will never see it once we are done. This would be a great one to use up some of your scrap clay on. I used some Original Sculpey because it was within easy reach and I felt that it would be less distracting on the video than a piece of scrap clay.

You will need to roll out your clay to the height you want you want your finished cake layer to be. I rolled my clay on the thickest setting on my pasta machine and then doubled that. My cake is supposed to be a single layer cake but feel free to make yours a two layer cake if that fits your theme better.

For each bat cake you will need two cakes cut with a ¾” round cutter. Then set one of those pieces aside for now. Cut the remaining circle into two halves. Then use a ¼” cutter (a drinking straw would also work) to cut off pieces from the straight sides to form the wings.

Now bake all three pieces of clay according to the directions on your clay package.

While we are waiting for our cakes to cool let's make the board that the cake will be set on. I used two pieces of cereal box cut 1 ½” by 3” , taped these together and covered them with foil.

Now for the frosting. I love using latex caulking for frosting in my doll size crafting. I buy the tubes of the white (paintable) kind whenever I see it on sale. It is easy to tint to different colors with acrylic paints. For dark colors (like our chocolate today) I prefer to use the paints in the tubes over craft paint. Since the color is a bit more concentrated and the paint thicker it doesn't water down the caulk like the thinner paints do. There really isn't a formula for the color mixing just add color until it looks close to what you want. I used burnt umber, Payne’s gray, and a bit of burnt seinnna to get my brown color.

Spread the tinted caulk on just like frosting and let it set up until it is completely dry. I decided to add a top coat of my burnt umber paint to hide the fact I missed some spots with my frosting. It also made my frosting a bit darker and richer looking.

Now the fun part. I used Scribble 3-D paint for this step. I love this where I want the look of decorator’s frosting. You can go as fancy or as simple as you want on this step.

If you make a bat cake I would love to see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment