Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Dollhouse Miniature Faux Wood


First let me say I saw this process on one of my favorite Youtube channels. If you aren't familiar with the Lindsay of The Frugal Crafter you just have to check out her channel (here) She is a very talented lady who among other things paints, stamps, makes cards, makes jewelry and so much more.



She used this faux wood technique a while back on a card and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to try it out. I knew it would be a technique my followers could use for many things in the dollhouse. I can see this being a floor, siding on a building, maybe a table top, and so many other things.

If you do use this process in your mini projects be sure to send me some pictures I want to see how you use it!

Since we are starting with Kraft color cardstock we already have a “wood” color base going on. We just need to add some grain lines and some dimension. The first step in this process is to use a scoring board (mine is a Martha Stewart one around $20) to make lines between our “boards” I chose to go every ½” to give me some 6” wide boards. You might want to try closer or further apart.

Next we need to add the “wood grain” for this I used a selection on dye based ink pads that are used for rubber stamping. I do prefer the small or “mini” size because I can collect a lot more colors for less money. The full size ones get really expensive if you want to get lots of colors. My are from the Tim Holtz Distress Ink line by Ranger. Here is a link to some online. You should be able to find them at any craft store. You can use any brand but I do find what is known as a “dye based” ink works best for this project. They dry faster and clean up is easy.

Lightly use the ink pads to wipe on the color going the direction you want the wood grain to go. Allow this to dry (it won't take long)

Once the ink has had a chance to dry use a rough paint brush to barely dry brush some paint onto your boards. Again go in the direction of the wood grain. Allow to dry.

Once this is all dry you have the option to come in with a dark colored pencil (I used dark brown) to trace over the scored lines. This adds depth to them and kind of looks like the dark lines between real boards.

I do recommend that you finish your project with a quick coat or two of a clear spray sealer.


Now where are you going to use your sheet of faux wood? Send my a picture so I can see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment